We offer the following classes:
Pitmaster class – Our main class – 5 hours
Classes Held in B.C., Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, and Ontario.
Join us for a half day of instruction and some awesome food. This class is targeted at the beginner through intermediate BBQer, and we will learn all about true, low ‘n slow, Southern-style Barbecue. Even intermediate cooks have picked up enough knowledge to win Grand Championships of their own!
We will be cooking throughout the class and we will have our award winning food for you to try, and our BBQ rubs for you to take home. Class is held indoors, with several topics covered outside so please dress accordingly. We will cover:
- Preparation of 4 meats: Brisket, pulled pork, ribs, and chicken. We will teach you how to select, trim, season, and cook these meats.
- BBQ rubs, mops, sauces, glazes, etc.
- Cooking fuel (charcoal, pellets, etc) and wood selection – seasoning with smoke
- “Low ‘n Slow” in theory
- Equipment – all types smokers and grills for cooking real BBQ, most are present in class.
- Basics of Competition – requirements, entry guidelines, judging, etc.
- Lots of stories from the BBQ trail
Competition Class – offered periodically in larger cities – 5-6 hours
Content is similar to Pitmaster class, targeted at intermediate to advanced cooks, with content focusing on cooking for judges, flavour profiles, presentation, and strategies for winning cash and trophies. We also discuss our strategies for Chef’s Choice or ancillary contests.
Grilling classes (2.5 hour evening classes)
These classes are offered in Calgary, Regina, and Ottawa, and periodically in other cities when we are in town for other reasons.
- Steak, 3 ways
- Chicken and Ribs
- 3-course themes (Cajun, Tex-mex, Seafood, Asian, etc)
- Appetizers on the Grill
- Talkin’ Turkey