November 25, 2017 (Saturday)
11:00am to 4:00pm
Class held at Tool Shed Brewing in Calgary. Thanks for hosting us!
Instructor: Kris Valckx - Pitmaster, Rocky Mountain Smokers
Join us for a half day of instruction and some awesome food. This class is targeted at the beginner through intermediate BBQ'er, and we will learn all about true, low 'n slow, Southern-style Barbecue. Intermediate cooks have picked up enough knowledge to win Grand Championships of their own!
We will be cooking throughout the class and we will have our award winning food for you to try, and our BBQ rubs for you to take home. Class is held indoors, with several topics covered outside - so please dress accordingly. We will cover:
- Preparation of 4 meats - Brisket, pulled pork, ribs, and chicken. We will teach you how to select, trim, season, and cook these meats.
- BBQ rubs, mops, sauces, glazes, etc.
- Cooking fuel (charcoal, pellets, etc) and wood selection - seasoning with smoke
- "Low 'n Slow" in theory
- Equipment - all types smokers and grills for cooking real BBQ, most are present in class.
- Basics of Competition - requirements, entry guidelines, judging, etc.
- Lots of stories from the BBQ trail