Instructor: John Thomson, Eatapedia (2017 CBBQS National Champions and 2017 KCBS International Team of the Year - Canada)
Date: 10:00 AM - Sunday, March 25, 2018
Location: Cindy's Restaurant - 15 Capella Ct, Nepean, ON K2E 7X1
Course duration: 6 - 7 hours. Lunch and snacks will be provided.
The greatest thrill in Competition BBQ is hearing your name called during the final Awards Ceremony. Knowing that your BBQ was good enough to walk to the podium, to grab that trophy, hoist it up high and hear the crowd cheer you on is an exciting (and addictive) moment in time you will never forget. And we want to help you experience it.
This is a full day session covering the essentials of Competition BBQ. Intermediate to Advanced cooks, and anyone planning to enter the world of Competition BBQ is best suited for this class. We will be trimming and cooking all 4 BBQ meats and you will be getting up close and personal with each step in the preparation process.
We will be cooking throughout the class and we will have our award winning food for you to try, and some BBQ Rubs and Sauces for you to take home. Class is held indoors, with several topics covered outside so please dress accordingly. This is not a Power Point presentation, this is an interactive class.
In this Competition Class we will cover:
- Selecting and trimming the 4 meats: Brisket, Pulled Pork, Ribs, and Chicken. We will teach you how to select, trim, season and cook in the style of Competition BBQ, which is quite different from your Backyard BBQ.
- Cooking For BBQ Judges is not like cooking for your neighbours. Learn what they are looking for and what to avoid.
- Sample Team Eatapedia's Competition Chicken, Ribs, Brisket and Pulled Pork.
- Turn-In Boxes 101: We discuss several styles of boxes and spend time on building and discussing the presentation of the meats within.
- We discuss strategies and tips to help you walk during that Awards Ceremony and winning some cash and trophies.
- We share our own strategies for winning People's Choice events as well as Side Dish Competitions.