Competition BBQ Class
April 28 Regina, SK
Interested in competition barbecue? Or maybe you're an experienced team looking for a few golden nuggets? This class is meant for you!
This isn't just any BBQ guy talking about 'Que - Rob is an experienced instructor and has mentored many cooks. His BBQ & grilling classes have been attended by over 1700 students so far! Many of the top teams in Canada have attended one of Rob's pitmaster or competition classes.
Our competition strategies have resulted in:
- 12 Grand Championships since 2013, 18 GC’s since 2009, and regular calls at both the Jack and Royal. Considering we only cook 3-4 contests a year, that’s not bad! See our full results here.
- 6 invitations to the American Royal
- 6 invitations to the Jack Daniels Invitational
- 4 invitations to the World Food Championships
- 2015 Canadian Team of the Year (CBBQS)
- 2014 Canadian Team of the Year (CBBQS) runner up
- Geography-neutral recipes: our 3 Grand Championships in 2015 were in 3 different provinces, and recipes / techniques have done well at the Jack and Royal.
- Cost - $300 - This is an investment to make sure you're breaking even at your next competitions, or leaving with dollars in your pocket!
- 1-day class, covering all aspects of a competition cook from start to finish. Tentative class time is 8 AM until 4 PM - or whenever every question has been answered. Breakfast (fruit, pastries, coffee, juice) will be provided. All 4 meats will be available for tasting & evaluation.
- Includes prep of all 4 meats, using actual techniques we have used in competition.
- Presentation ideas for blind boxes.
- Strategies for different judging scenarios, flavour profiles, ancillary categories, Peoples' Choice, etc.
- —> Most importantly, we don’t just demonstrate and give you ingredients. We discuss our strategies and let you know WHY we do what we do. We let you know what we've changed and why.
- We will cook on Yoder and Cookshack pellet grills, with specific notes about what we do differently when cooking on charcoal pits. We have extensive experience cooking on stick burners in competition also, so we can answer questions about that process as well.
- Students in our 2012 & 2016 classes have since taken other competition classes from some of the biggest names in BBQ – they tell us that our class was excellent because of this detailed approach to explaining our thought process.
- We don’t expect experienced students to duplicate our process exactly, we educate them enough so that they can decide which nuggets they can use in their repertoire. If you want to duplicate the whole program, feel free!
- Spouses may attend for $100, and we mean spouses only.
- Class registration is refundable 30 days prior to class date only.
- Payment can be made via Interac E-Transfer (preferred!), by mailed cheque, or by Paypal on this site.
Bonus: Stick around for free entry into Sunday's "Face the Judges" event being held in Regina. Cook your chicken and ribs, and present your best food to CBJ's on site for their scoring and evaluation of your appearance, texture, and flavour.
Start getting those big calls! Start racking up your own GC's!