- Competition Class
Our Grilling Classes refer to any class 3 hours or less, usually held on weekday evenings.
- Instructor: John Thomson
- Instructor: Kris Valckx
- Instructor: Rob Reinhardt
- Medicine Hat
This is our flagship 5-hour class, held on weekends.
- Red Deer
Ribs, Ribs, Ribs!
Date: April 10, 2018 Wednesday
Tentative time 6:00-8:30 PM
We’ll cover ribs from start to finish, including different types, cooking techniques, and flavours. We’ll talk about selection, preparation seasoning, etc.
We’ll cook with pellet grills and charcoal smokers.
Ribs to be cooked and served in class:
Pork side ribs: Competition style (similar to the ribs we cook in our 5-hr pitmaster class)
Pork back ribs: Finished with Memphis dry rub. Look for bold, smoky flavours here.
Beef chuck or plate ribs: (aka short ribs). These meaty bones are loaded with collagen and will be some of the most succulent bites of beef you’ll ever eat.
Date: April 11, 2019 Thursday, tentative time 6:00-8:30 PM
Held in conjunction with Rebellion Brewing: Take home a growler and gift card, included in the price!
Join us to learn how to prepare some great dishes you would find at your favourite Brewhouse! Class is held indoors, with several topics covered outside – so please dress accordingly. We will cover:
- Red ale Chicken shack drumsticks – direct grilled with intense smoky flavours (Rebellion’s Amber ale)
- Jerk baby back ribs with seasonal beer-based glaze
- (Beer tbd)
- Grilled Romaine hearts with IPA vinaigrette
- Oreo Beer Brownies
Steak Master Class
Date: June 4, 2019 Tuesday
Tentative time 6:00-8:30 PM
Beef – it’s What’s for Dinner! Bring your appetites!
We will cover all aspects of steak, from start to finish. No question will go unanswered. Topics will include:
- Cuts: low demand vs high demand cuts, flavour vs tenderness, etc.
- Techniques: We’ll cover a few of them in class and discuss other options for cooking
- Selection, grading, etc.
Steaks to be cooked and served in class:
1) Redneck Sous-Vide You won’t believe how easy this technique is… One of our favourite ways to grill steak, and virtually guaranteed to finish at the perfect temperature. We’ll be grilling these steaks directly over natural lump charcoal.
2) Tri-tip We think this cut has more natural beef flavour than any other… It’s popular in California, and we’ll show you why it should be popular in your home. This cut will be cooked on a Gateway Drum Smoker We’ll serve it with freshly grilled garlic toast and homemade salsa fresca.
3) World Championship steak This is the same recipe and technique that won Prairie Smoke & Spice the World Champion title*, 2 years in a row, at the Jack Daniels World Championship Invitational Barbecue in Lynchburg, Tennessee. We won the same 1st place award in 2018! We’ll tell you all the details in class, not here 🙂 This steak will be cooked over charcoal.
Class will be limited to 20 people.
*Chef’s Choice category