Instructor: John Thomson, Eatapedia (2017 CBBQS National Champions and 2017 KCBS International Team of the Year - Canada)
Date: 10:00 AM - Saturday, March 24, 2018
Location: Cindy's Restaurant - 15 Capella Ct, Nepean, ON K2E 7X1
Course duration: 5 - 6 hours. Lunch and snacks will be provided.
Looking to up your BBQ game? Maybe you want to learn how to make perfect Pulled Pork that never saw a Crock Pot? Or perhaps your ribs need work, or you struggle with brisket, or your chicken is always blackened? Don't worry, we've been there too, and we can help.
Join us for a day of interactive instruction and some awesome food. This class is targeted towards Backyard Beginners through to Experienced BBQers who want to spend a day learning about BBQ Theory, Practice and participate in lots of Q&A. We will learn all about true "Low 'n Slow" Southern-style Barbecue and introduce you to several styles of BBQs. Even experienced cooks have picked up enough knowledge to win Grand Championships of their own!
We will be cooking throughout the class and we will have our award winning food for you to try, and some BBQ Rubs and Sauces for you to take home. Class is held indoors, with several topics covered outside so please dress accordingly. This is not a Power Point presentation, this is an interactive class.
- We will cover the 4 common BBQ meats: Brisket, Pulled Pork, Ribs, and Chicken. We will teach you how to select, trim, season, and cook these meats.
- We talk about Injecting, Saucing, Mopping, Glazing, Rubbing, Brining, etc.
- We will discuss various cooking fuels and flavours (Lump Charcoal, Briquettes, Pellets, Wood Splits etc)
- “Low ‘n Slow” in theory
- Equipment – all types smokers and grills for cooking real BBQ, most are present in class.
- Basics of Competition – requirements, entry guidelines, judging, what to expect, etc.
- Lots of stories from the BBQ trail