- Competition Class
Our Grilling Classes refer to any class 3 hours or less, usually held on weekday evenings.
- Instructor: John Thomson
- Instructor: Kris Valckx
- Instructor: Rob Reinhardt
- Medicine Hat
This is our flagship 5-hour class, held on weekends.
- Red Deer
SKILL LEVEL: Anyone Interested in Competition BBQ
DURATION: 8 HOURS
COST: $400 (Bring a teammate/spouse and they save $50 – Use code BUDDYSYSTEM)
The greatest thrill in Competition BBQ is hearing your name called during the final Awards Ceremony. Knowing that your BBQ was good enough to walk to the podium, to grab that trophy, hoist it up high and hear the crowd cheer you on is an exciting (and addictive) moment in time you will never forget. And we want to help you experience it.
This is a full day session covering the essentials of Competition BBQ. Intermediate to Advanced cooks, and anyone planning to enter the world of Competition BBQ is best suited for this class. We will be trimming and cooking all 4 BBQ meats and you will be getting up close and personal with each step in the preparation process.
- Low & Slow VS Hot & Fast
- Competition Site Etiquette
- Sourcing and selecting Competition Meats
- What you need to know about crossing the US Border to compete
- Turn-In Box preparation
- Tales from the BBQ Trail, as we’ve seen a fair amount of stuff!
This is a Tell All Class! We show your EVERYTHING and we are selling you NOTHING. My full schedule, my step-by-step techniqes for trimming, injecting, rubbing, cook, slicing and boxing. No one in Ontario or Quebec has won as many KCBS Competitions as we have.
We will share with you our experiences, including the bad lessons we’ve learned! We tell you why we do what we do, and why other methods may have had different results. The entire class is a 6 hour Q&A where you have access to one of Canada’s top BBQ Cooks. All questions answered.
Click the button below to be taken to the Eatapedia page to register and pay.
November 16, 2019 (Saturday)
10:00am to 3:00pm
Class Location: Tool Shed Brewing – 801 30 St NE, Calgary Click here for a link to Google Maps.
Join us for a half day of instruction and some awesome food. This class is targeted at the beginner through intermediate BBQ’er, and we will learn all about true, low ‘n slow, Southern-style Barbecue.
We will be cooking throughout the class and we will have our award winning food for you to try, a detailed handout for you to take home. Class is held indoors, with several topics covered outside – so please dress accordingly. We will cover:
- Preparation of 4 meats – Brisket, pulled pork, ribs, and chicken. We will teach you how to select, trim, season, and cook these meats.
- BBQ rubs, mops, sauces, glazes, etc.
- Cooking fuel (charcoal, pellets, etc) and wood selection – seasoning with smoke
- “Low ‘n Slow” in theory
- Equipment – all types smokers and grills for cooking real BBQ, most are present in class.
- Basics of Competition – requirements, entry guidelines, judging, etc.
- Lots of stories from the BBQ trail