October 3, 2020 (Saturday)
Tentative Class Time: 10am - 3pm
Location: 1265 Osler St. Link to Google Maps here.
Join us for a half day of instruction and some awesome food. This class is targeted at the beginner through intermediate BBQ'er, and we will learn all about true, low 'n slow, Southern-style Barbecue. Intermediate cooks who have taken our classes have picked up enough knowledge to win Grand Championships of their own!
We will be cooking throughout the class and we will have our award winning food for you to try. You'll go home with our award-winning Blue Ribbin' BBQ sauce and spice rubs, and a detailed handout covering everything we discuss in class, and more. Class is held indoors, with several topics covered outside - so please dress accordingly. We will cover:
- Preparation of 4 meats - Brisket, pulled pork, ribs, and chicken. We will teach you how to select, trim, season, and cook these meats. (5th bonus meat to be announced in class!)
- BBQ rubs, mops, sauces, glazes, etc.
- Cooking fuel (charcoal, pellets, etc) and wood selection - seasoning with smoke
- "Low 'n Slow" in theory. We'll discuss "Hot & Fast" cooking also.
- Equipment - all types smokers and grills for cooking real BBQ - we have cooked on them all, and most are present in class.
- Tools for 'Que, both necessary and unnecessary
- Myths in the BBQ world, and science too
- Basics of Competition - requirements, entry guidelines, judging, etc.
- Lots of stories from the BBQ trail